Monday, April 16, 2012

The pain of finding out why you're sick!

While I was on sick leave I got a fat letter from TYKS for a series of examinations. Instead of feeling all well and eager for a comeback to work this Monday, I spent a few hours in TYKS T-hospital. 12:00 pre-medication, 12:30 spirometry (for real, again?) and 13:00 bronchoscopy, which I knew was going to be nasty but I had NO idea! This also meant that I didn't get to eat or drink for a few hours so I was really thirsty by the time I got to the last procedure. Anyway, the pre-medication was some sort of saliva-stopper injection that would dry up my mouth for a few hours and a walk-thorugh of what was coming. While the meds were kicking in I went for yet another spiro without any significant result. I'm a pro at this by now.

Time to stick a tube down my lungs! For starters two sets of anesthesia were just sprayed in my mouth and back of the throat (no needle penetration). While I was waiting for those to kick in they had to change the operating table because I was too heavy for the one they had, haha! So I got a bed rolled in for me instead.. Kinda embarrassing really. =) Anyway, then I got the "lie down and relax" command, it's funny how they all say that. In fact I was quite relaxed since my pulse was only 85, they told me most people are at 150 by now. Badass! But only for a brief second since as soon as they started jamming a thick tube down my trachea the fun was over. After a good 10-15min of feeling like drowning and throwing up at the same time, all while watching the inside of my lungs on TV, they pulled the damn thing out. While in there they took 3 samples, (biopsy) so now I was coughing up blood as well as hurting all over and feeling generally violated. Fun times!

They had me sitting in the waiting room for about 30min (under "obervation" with nobody watching me?) only to send me back upstairs to get a few blood samples. I don't know what the guy did wrong but after filling 5 vials of blood he pulled out the needle and told me "that might bruise a bit". My entire friggin' arm was blue and yellow a week after that! I looked like a total heroinist. Good work mate! I asked him why the heck they needed 5 samples for and if I remember correctly they were for checking CRP, liver values, cancer values (NSE), kidney values and hemoglobin..  (I was a bit worried they wanted to test me for cancer!) They needed to check that my kidneys were ok because I had a CT-scan later that week and the radiocontrast agent used can be damaging to the kidneys.


Since my sick leave was over and I felt far from well I had to make another visit to Keskusta 3. For some reason none of the doctors at TYKS could see me or write me some more sick days. At approximately 15 in the afternoon there's just no way you can get an appointment to see a doctor so they sent me home with a 8:00 appointment for the next morning.

Since all the results from this weeks examinations would be ready the week after Valborgsmässoafton, 3/5 the doctor felt like I shouldn't be working until I know what's wrong with me. So this time I got sick leave until 6/5. Good call in my opinion! Still going with the same diagnosis: J18.9, unknown lung infection (pneumonia).

No comments:

Post a Comment